Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mint Avocado Brownies

Sometimes I come up with really odd ideas for food. Usually they turn out okay, sometimes even fantastic. The jury is still out on yesterday's creation though...

MINT AVOCADO BROWNIES (adapted from this recipe for Blueberry Cheesecake Brownies)
1 1/4 c. milk
1 c. butter, cut into cubes
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt

In a saucepan, heat milk and butter until melted. Put cocoa in a large bowl and slowly whisk in the milk mixture. Whisk in the sugar and then the eggs. Pour flour and salt on top and then stir to combine. Line a 9x13" baking dish with parchment paper and pour batter into the dish.


2 avocados, peeled & pitted
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 egg
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. mint extract

Beat avocados with sugar until smooth. Beat in flour, then remaining ingredients. Pour over the chocolate batter in the baking dish and swirl batters slightly with the tip of a knife. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. Let it cool in the baking dish before removing, using the excess parchment paper on the edges to help lift it out, and then cut into squares.

What can I say? These were good, I guess. The kids gobbled them up, no questions asked. I realize now after looking at the recipe again that I only cooked these for about 35-40 minutes as opposed to 45 minutes, and they were definitely goopier than the Blueberry Cheesecake Brownies (which are TO DIE FOR!) Would I make them again? Probably not. Am I glad I gave it a shot and fed my picky picky son some avocado? You bet! (He even helped make these brownies, so he was well-aware of the "abocados" in there, but he kept asking for more!)
Pin It!

No comments: